I am judging the Second Light Poetry Competition for women poets.
- £300 First Prize for each of Long (no upper limit) and Short (max 50 lines) poems
- £150 Second Prize (1 poem from either category)
- £75 Third Prize (1 poem from either category)
- Winning & Commended Poems published (in full or extract) in magazine ARTEMISpoetry
- Winners offered a London reading.
- Long poem: £6 each.
- Short poems: £4 each or £9 for 3, £14 for 8.
Enter by post (2 copies) or online.
**Members are entitled to one free entry into the competition. Join now to be eligible.** (see About Second Light/Joining)
Rules & Entry – Direct link to payment at Poetry P F online shop
Note from the judge:
“…I shall be looking for poems which travel, poems in which the form fits the subject matter and the language is alive. This is a time when contemporary issues are very much at the front of everyone’s minds and, very understandably, give rise to strong feelings. On the whole, I believe poems dealing with this kind of subject matter work best if the approach is indirect. When I read entries which deal with this type of material I shall be particularly considering whether it has been fully transformed into poetry.”
The results will be posted on the website by 30th September. Once winning poems (or extracts) are published in ARTEMISpoetry, they will be available to read here
Competition details and entry form